Bed and Breakfast Graaff Reinet
Bed and Breakfast Graaff Reinet – During 2014 we came across and purchased an isolated plot with the most magnificent views of the Sneeuberg Mountains. I felt that this would be a perfect location to establish an upmarket guesthouse and thereby add further value and offer tourists accommodation in Graaff-Reinet.
In 2015 I assembled a team of locals and started an owner built adventure.
From the Karoo farm , Ou Tweefontein, hidden 53 km away in the Sneeuberg mountains I sourced all the necessary poplar beams for the thatch structure, as well as the reeds which were used for the ceilings of the rooms.
All the gravel and sand was trucked in as well from the dry river beds. Finally in July 2016 the Whyte House was completed.
I look forward to giving all our guests a very warm welcome and endeavor to make your Karoo visit unforgettable!
About our town:
Surrounded by the Camdeboo National Park, Graaff-Reinet, the heart of the “Great Karoo” – Place of Thirst – is a boundless and mysterious area covered by vast livestock and game farms, where broad plains roll away to distant koppies and multilayered mountains that seem to touch the indigo sky. Our guest house offers accommodation in Graaff-Reinet which allow you to listen to the silence, breathe in the aged earth and the Karoo bossies (which conjure up the taste of Karoo lamb!), and gaze at a startlingly clear horizon that seems drawn at the other end of the earth. Our clear night skies are studded with countless stars and huge bright planets; even other galaxies are visible with the naked eye, offering some of the best star gazing in the world. Fossils of some of the earliest forms of one-celled life have been discovered here, indicating that life has existed in this region for three billion years. The richness of pre-dinosaur fossils in this region is world-renowned.
We invite you to experience the magic of this area, discover eccentric little hamlets, sprawling farmsteads, the historical town of Graaff-Reinet and the nearby villages of Aberdeen and Nieu Bethesda, populated by warm and welcoming people that love to share their stories and legends. Bed and Breakfast Graaff Reinet
Things to do in Graaff-Reinet
- Gaze in awe at the breath-taking views on top of the Valley of Desolation in Camdeboo National Park and watch the sun go down over the Plains of Camdeboo. A memorable experience!
- Pack a picnic basket and have a braai or picnic in Camdeboo National Park. Enjoy the game viewing en route to your site.
- Experience life as it was in the 1800’s when you visit the historical Reinet House, Old Residency Museum, Urquhart House and the Military Museum. The Black Acorn grapevine planted by Charles Murray in 1870 is still growing at Reinet House!
- Admire the architecture of the Dutch Reformed Church (Groot Kerk), Drostdy Hotel, Stretch’s Court and the cottages in the town.
- Experience the prehistoric era through the fossils in the Old Library Museum.
- Enjoy the artwork of famous contemporary South African artists at the Hester Rupert Art Museum.
- Taste our famous Karoo lamb, venison and great Karoo food whilst enjoying authentic “platteland” hospitality at one of the town’s cosy restaurants.
- Take a flight with FlyKaroo. See landmarks like the Valley of Desolation, Spandauskop, the Horseshoe and The Giant flag like you’ve never seen them before.
- Celebrate the day with an experience of a lifetime, drift slowly over the picturesque town in a Hot Air Balloon and enjoy the magnificent views of the town and the majestic surrounding mountains.
- The Christmas Lights in Acacia Street in Kroonvale offer a memorable festive season for all. The local community decorate their homes, gardens and street with Christmas lights for all to enjoy. Come and join in with the festivities and walk the street in this secure community.
- Check out the biggest Cacti collection on the planet and walk the fascinating succulent plant labyrinth at Obesa Nursery. There is also a ceramic gallery where you can buy beautifully crafted pots in which to plant your Karoo rose-like succulent.
- Karoo adventure – take our 4×4 to the top of the mountain trail or set off hiking and mountain biking in the vast open landscapes to experience a sense of freedom, peacefulness and space. This a safe place to do so!
- Take time out to enjoy films and live shows at the historical John Rupert Theatre.
- Experience authentic Karoo farm life on a working guest farm in the area.